U.S. Coast Guard Station
The United States Coast Guard, which replaced the U.S. Lifesaving Service, maintained vigil over the beaches in the area during the war. A county-wide unit of 80 men roamed the beaches, at first on foot, then on horseback, and later patrolled the area in the first Jeeps to reach Humboldt County. The beach troops were initially housed in the Hammond Lumber Company housing units, then moved into the Navy barracks when they were completed in early 1942. The cavalry unit was the first line of defense for the peninsula. Among other duties, a large part of their early watch consisted of turning all citizens away from the beaches.